VINCI , the birthplace of Leonardo is situated in the heart of Tuscany, on the slopes of Montalbano , formerly the land of the Etruscans and Roman "castrum" .
LAND Vinci is located in the Lower Valdarno , on the north -west of Montalbano , 30 km . from Florence, close to the major art cities of Tuscany : Lucca, Pisa, Pistoia and Siena. The oldest , with the castle and the parish church , stands on a small hill ( m.97 ) , while the town is located on the decline of the hill : various villages are scattered among the east, south and west. The protected area of Montalbano covers 16,000 acres north of the city until you reach the town of Montecatini Terme and Florence. The dominant landscape is hilly with the lives that continue to be grown close to the floor or in some terraces , olive trees common in the higher areas and chestnut woods , typical of vegetation induced on the top.The area is particularly well suited for walking and hiking . You can do them through an extensive network of pedestrian and cycle paths that reach hill towns surrounded by nature , archaeological sites, ancient woods such as oak forest Pietramarina.Do not miss the chance to reach the top of Montalbano . On the crest opens a wonderful view : on one side the valley of the Arno, on the other hand the Pistoia Fiorentino up all'Appennio .
HISTORY The construction of the castle dates back to the early Middle Ages and was ruled by the Counts Guidi ( 1164 ), isolated from the village retains its original elliptical (known to the folk tradition as the "castle of the ship" to the elongated shape reminiscent of the silhouette of a sailing vessel ) and is partly surrounded by walls. In 1254 he was subjected to the dominion of Florence and transformed into the City. Located on the western border of the state , Vinci was contended by the enemies of Florence and lived the events that plagued the Florentine political life . In 1315 , under its walls fought the troops of Uguccione Faggiola ; Castruccio Castracane in 1320-26 ; Jona Hakwood in 1364 , head of the British mercenary in the pay of Pisa. The castle was returned to the town of Vinci in 1919 by Count Giulio Masetti from Bathe . Since 1953, houses the Museum of Leonardo . Several renovations have occurred over the years , the last one in 1986 to accommodate the new layout of the Leonardo Museum .